Orion United Methodist Church Scholarship Fund
Policy and Procedures
The Orion United Methodist Church Scholarship Fund is established as a part of the mission of the church whereby members and friends of the church may invest in the future of our youth. We believe this investment will ultimately bless the church itself, both locally and beyond.
Who may apply?
- The applicant shall be a member of Orion UMC for at least one year.
- High school seniors and college undergraduates may apply.
- Awards will be determined by the applicant’s involvement and participation in the life of the church.
- Awards are not based on the applicant’s age, race, financial status or gender. Neither the type of higher education being pursued nor the religious affiliation (if any) of the school shall be considered basis for awards.
- Previous applicants not awarded a scholarship may reapply.
Who administers the Scholarship Fund?
- The Orion UMC scholarship committee, in consultation with the memorial, endowments and finance committees, shall administer the Orion UMC Scholarship Fund.
- The chairperson of the scholarship committee shall be a member of the administrative council with full voting rights.
What is the source of funding?
All contributions, unless otherwise specified, shall become a part of the principle of the established Scholarship Fund. Only earned interest shall be used in making scholarship awards.
What is the application and review procedure?
- Deadline for application is the second Thursday in April. Applications must be postmarked by that day or dropped off at the church office by 2 pm. Awards will be announced in May.
- Signed applications should be sent to Orion UMC, PO Box 176, Orion, IL 61273. Attention: Scholarship Committee
- Applications will be reviewed by the scholarship committee. The pastor shall be an ex officio member of the committee.
- Scholarship award(s) up to $500 will be granted upon committee review.
- Earned interest may be disbursed as an award to one applicant or divided among more than one applicant.
- If no qualified applicant is identified, that year’s income may be added to the principle of the Scholarship Fund.
Termination of the Scholarship Fund
Any decision to terminate is to be made by the administrative council. Funds will be disbursed in accordance with the United Methodist Book of Discipline and the bylaws of the Illinois Great Rivers Conference of the United Methodist Church.